Woody Hibiscus (Rose of Sharon)

This woody hibiscus was literally "plucked" from the side of the road. My husband was on a road call for his company - he is a diesel mechanic. He spotted these plants growing on the side of the road in a ditch. He brought it home and I rooted it and planted it in a pot. This is the first year it has bloomed. We enjoy it and it is special to me because my husband "picked" it for me and brought it home. It attracts red throated hummingbirds and that is a joy to watch the hummingbirds feeding in the beautiful pink blooms

By WandaJo from Collierville, TN

Answers:

Woody Hibiscus

Pretty!(08/03/2006)

By Jean in GA

Woody Hibiscus

Pretty and how special. (08/03/2006)

By meoowmom

Woody Hibiscus

Looks like a Rose of Sharon to me. (08/03/2006)

By SueBee

Woody Hibiscus

That's doubly-special because it's unique and so lovely, but more importantly your husband took the time to bring it to you! You must treat him like a king? (08/03/2006)

By Lynda

Woody Hibiscus

Our oldest son gives me one of these on Mother's Day every year and they are just beautiful. I also enjoy them. (08/04/2006)

By Trudy

Woody Hibiscus

Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon's flowers do look alike, but the leaves are larger on a hibiscus (like that one) and a rose of Sharon grows much larger, in a tree. Mine are huge and I just started a hibiscus from seed this year so it will be a while before I get flowers. (08/04/2006)

Woody Hibiscus

That is very lovely, but it is a rose of Sharon, not a hibiscus (08/04/2006)

By darrice

Woody Hibiscus

Thank you for clarifying what this plant is; I have heard them called Woody Hibiscus - in fact my mother called them by that name. I love them and to watch the hummingbirds feed on them is a treat. (08/04/2006)

By WandaJo

Woody Hibiscus

A rose of Sharon is a hibiscus (a woody hibiscus), botanical name "hibiscus syriacus"

By Susan from ThriftyFun (08/04/2006)