Making a Pop Tab Necklace
A fun unique craft project can be made using a recycled item. This is a page about making a pop tab necklace
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Make a fashion statement with some pop tabs and ribbon!
- A lot of pop tabs
- thin ribbon (any color)
- Take one pop tab and place it on a piece of ribbon that is big enough to surround your neck.
- Tie it in a knot at the end, leaving at least 4 inches of ribbon loose.
- Place another pop tab under the first with the "bottoms" (which is the side that would be down on your can of pop) facing each other.
- Slide the 2nd pop tab slightly to the right. You should see an opening in the two pop tabs that is oval in shape. Feed the ribbon up through that hole.
- Place another pop tab next to the first pop tab. You should see another oval of space when you look at the 2nd and 3rd pop tabs. Feed the ribbon down through that hole.
- Keep repeating the "add pop tab, feed ribbon" until you have a long enough string of tabs to encircle your neck.
- Tie the loose end of the ribbon in a knot around the last pop tab. There should be 4 inches of ribbon loose after knotting.
- Repeat the entire process a second time using the other hole on the pop tab. (This time is a bit easier, as the tabs are already in place.)
- Tie the extra ribbon in a bow at the back of your neck and enjoy.
You can use two different colored ribbons, if desired.
Be careful that all sharp edges on the pop tabs are filed down before adding them to your necklace or throw those particular tabs away.
This craft is rather difficult and time consuming. It would work wonderfully as a project for a crafter's workshop. Nice project when you are working with teens.
It's pretty kool, you can make a necklace, a chain, a bracelet and a belt with recyclable items such as soda can tabs. Here I made a bracelet. You cut tabs in the middle and clip together with other tabs to form your choice of items.
Source: www.youtube by the king of random