Valentine's Day Gift Ideas

Category Gifts
Many people celebrate this holiday with gifts of hearts, flowers, candy, and thoughtful gestures for their loved ones. This is a guide about Valentine's Day gift ideas.

While my friend was recovering from hip surgery she was unable to bake and decorate Valentine's Day cookies with her granddaughter. Both of them were pretty disappointed. So I made up a batch of my sugar cookies, cut them into Valentine's shapes and baked them.

I got a few containers of ready-to-spread frosting, food coloring, sprinkles and other toppings and packed them (carefully) in a festive container and delivered them to her.

My friend was elated with the surprise of the care package I had put together, and the ability of partaking in the annual cookie decorating event that they always had together! This made their day, and mine! By Shirley from Hastings, MI

You don't have to spend a lot of money for a nice Valentine's gift. A few years ago my husband had to travel overseas and was going to be gone over Valentine's Day. Although we don't normally do much for each other on that day, I hated that he would be alone in a hotel. I took a small photo album (the kind you get for $1 at some discount stores), and I put photos of myself, our children, and close family and friends. I wrote on a piece of paper and stuck in the first slot "Happy Valentine's Day, from those of us who love you very much!" I put it in his brief case for him to find later. He was very pleasantly surprised with his very unique gift.

By Skeesics56 from NW Ohio

Last week was Valentine's Day. I received several email cards, but not one real "put my hands on" card in the mail box, which made me to think about email causing us to receive less hand written cards and what ever happened to letters.

I did a search on Google.com typing in inexpensive writing paper and cards, and was surprised to see all the different options out there to get some inexpensive writing materials. I have also picked up cards and paper at garage sales for next to nothing.

Let's bring back more hand written cards and letters, it doesn't even have to be a holiday or special occasion, to drop a handwritten note in the mail for someone to have the joy of knowing you thought of them. I have letters and cards I have saved over the years in a rather large hatbox.

When I have a day when I am missing my out of town family and friends, I get the hatbox down and read the cards and letters again. I watch for cards on sale when I shop. Next time you think about emailing a card or letter, get out one of your nicest pens and hand write it instead.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

With Valentines Day approaching, I thought I would pass along a cute idea. A few years ago a friend came home on Valentines Day to find that her husband had apparently forgotten and had done nothing to observe the special day. It wasn't until she went to take a shower that she discovered a plastic bag full of Hershey kisses hanging from the shower head, with a note attached that said "On Valentines Day and every day, I will shower you with kisses!"

Cute, romantic -- and inexpensive!

By Becki in Indiana

I use the small water plastic bottles and fill with small candies. The candy had to fit easily in the mouth of the bottle. Then add a ribbon and/or bow to give as a small and inexpensive gift. It does put a smile on my friends face to get one often. I have never painted the outside because the different colored candies are pretty enough showing through the clear plastic.

Show your love of friends, home and family this Valentine season by making a pretty love banner.

Time: 60 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut four 3 inch squares from white cardstock and four 3 inch squares from floral papers. Adhere floral squares to white squares with double-sided adhesive.

2. Use glue pen to create borders around the squares with silver ricrac ribbon.

3. With scissors, cut four hearts from floral papers. Cut small strips from leftover papers and adhere horizontally to each heart. Ink edges. Then adhere to each square with foam dot adhesive for added dimension.

4. Print "LOVE" letters onto cream cardstock. Punch out each letter using scallop circle punch. Ink edges. Place the word "LOVE" on the center of each hearts using foam dot adhesive.

5. Decorate the top of each square with pink bows and gems.

6. Lay the green ribbon and space the four squares vertically along the ribbon. Adhere the squares on ribbon with double-sided adhesive or a dot of hot glue.

Click Here for the Heart Pattern.

By Maricel

This takes some pre-planning but worth yearly returns. "Sneak" and plant very early blooming spring bulbs in someone's garden or lawn, prominent where they are sure to be seen. Try (easily) to find those that should be in full bloom during the week of the holiday.

Debra Frick0 found this helpful

St. Valentine Day is the day of Love. For lovers, it is the one day that we remember how much our better half means to us. For our children, it is a day to learn to love.

Last year for Valentine's Day, I made hubby a little Valentine-book called "LAURA'S GIFT GUIDE." I used an inexpensive plastic photo album (so I could make modifications when I wanted to or needed to) .

This tip is for a great, thrifty, and heart-felt Valentine's Day gift. The best part is, it's free! One year, I wrote a poem about my favorite aunt, who I'm very close to. Though my poetry is rather personal to me, I finally decided to share it with her for Valentine's Day not long ago.

Flowers are beautiful and a delightful gift to receive, but you can't eat them. Try this candy bouquet instead or in addition to the traditional bouquet of flowers. This is a guide about making a Valentine's Day candy bouquet.

Valentine's Day Candy Bouquet

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Here is a Valentines for teachers or someone special. I saw in a magazine where they did this with a paper cup but I decided I am using a mug with paint that can be used on glass.

Show your love with this sweet and fiery bouquet. This is a guide about making a Valentine s'mores bouquet.

Valentine's S'mores Bouquet

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is for Valentine's Day, but you could alter it to whatever day you want. I used a printing program and found a picture of the little heart candy with sayings on them. Below it I printed "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

This is a suggestion for a Valentine's Day gift for someone you love. Decorate a basket for Valentine's Day using lace and ribbons and your imagination, and fill the basket with fruit...

As a foreign born person living now in America, do you celebrate Valentine's Day? What do you usually give for gifts to new friends? I see lots of candy and flowers.

By Badri

Answers

Anonymous

Valentine's Day is a good day to let your friends know how you feel about them. You can get or make them a card, thanking them for their friendship or give them a small token gift like candy or a small flowering plant. - Marianne

Valentine's Day is basically for romantic love. You might buy a Valentine card and/or chocolates for your the person you love. Some couples celebrate by having a romantic dinner or evening together. Good old capitalism has enlarged the original meaning of the holiday to encourage everyone to buy gifts and cards for all those we care about. If you have children in elementary school, they may be expected to buy or make valentines for all of their classmates. If you decide to buy Valentines for your friends, be careful to choose friend messages. The safe way to give chocolates is to give them to a group of people. It is a very fun and romatic holiday, and you can decide how broadly you wish to participate.

Anonymous

I always love handmade cards and small gifts on Valentines Day, rather than purchased cards.

hey everybody! well, i'm soon gonna be a teenager and i think that you could make a very inexpensive and delicious looking gift like this- take a few chocolate flavored lollipops, and put em together tie them with an elastic thread and wrap some flowery paper around to give a look like a bouquet! i read this in a book called DIY! its a great book!

We make handmade cards for each other in my household. Google eyes and pipe cleaners help to give them whimsy. For co-workers some candy or a small candle, The box of kids cards from the dollar store are a safe bet as well. My advice is to be carefull in the workplace. you dont want sexual harrasment charges!!. Also, you dont want to mislead people into thinking you have feelings that are not there. If there IS someone you like and want to give them a hint, Do it outside the workplace. I once liked someone at a job, And gave them flowers and a small card. The card said that I had a crush on them. The person then showed EVERYONE, And embarrased me. He was not discreet. ( my feelings changed quickly) I focus as well on people who wont be getting anything. I have been known to do ding-dong ditch, on valentines day. AH, LOVE!!

My 54 year old bf doesn't have any interest in sports and doesn't like to wear cologne, so it is so hard to buy him anything. Does anyone have an idea what I could buy this man?

Answers

Yes you can take him to dinner or lunch or to a movie, a gift card for haircuts, or any type of gift cards.

Maybe a DVD or a nice throw blanket; or both. Hope that helps :)

Does he have any hobbies? reading, woodworking, boardgames, cards, darts, gardening??? Gift cards are always good.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My husband, last year for Valentine's Day had a bowl of candy and flowers on the kitchen counter. After smelling the flowers, I notice the sparkle. After 30+ years, he still surprises me! :)

By Kathy

Comment Like this photo? 17

This is the sweetest Valentine gift I have ever recieved. It was from my grandaughter Sammie Marie.

Sweet Valentine Gift

By Betty from Fond du Lac, WI

Comment Like this photo? Yes