Removing Smells from Coolers

Category Miscellaneous
blue cooler
Keeping your ice chest clean and smelling fresh is the goal. This guide is about removing smells from coolers.

Put crumbled up newspaper in your Coleman cooler to remove all musty odors; let set until the next time you use the container and all odors will be gone.

By Joni

My tip is how to get a fishy smell out of a cooler. I wash it out first with very hot soapy water and rinse well. Then I take a small lid and put about 2-3 teaspoons of vanilla in it. Place in the cooler and leave closed for a couple of days then just rinse and your cooler won't smell like fish anymore.

By Winketta from Portageville, NY

Crumpled up newspapers placed inside of musty smelling coolers will remove the smell.

By Sharyn

How do you remove odors from an ice cooler?

By debbbb from Pipestone, MN

Answers

Best Answer

Try putting a dish of kitty litter inside and closing it. If you can alternate leaving it open and in the sun it would help too.

Best Answer

Wad a bunch of newspapers up and put them inside the cooler. Leave for a few days. Don't know how this works but it does.

Best Answer

Wash with warm water and soap. Leave open to the sun. A day of sun should do it but leave longer if need to. My husband put fish in ours and it worked on that.

Best Answer

Charcoal briquettes, baking soda, or coffee grounds are all good odor absorbers. Give one or all of them a try as well.

I need to get the cleaning solution smell out of my cooler.

Answers

Clean it out with diluted white vinegar and leave it open outside for a couple days

Activated charcoal, crushed newspaper or Nok-Out will remove the smell.

Open the cooler and air it out. Afterwards, clean it with vinegar and water. You can now use Activated charcoal in the cooler. This will remove the smell inside your cooler.

Cover the bottom of a throw away aluminum pan with charcoal, pour some lemon juice over the charcoal and set it in the bottom of your cooler with the lid on for 24 to 48 hours. Works great in refrigerators as well.

Basically the same methods can be used no matter what type of odor/smell is in your cooler. I would not use bleach unless it will take drastic measures as bleach will remove the top protective coating from some types of coolers and then the coolers will hold all odors and dirt longer.

Cleaning with water and either vinegar or lemon outside and airing the cooler out will do wonders and may not need anything else.

Here is a useful link about keeping your cooler clean and smelling great.

http://www.icec  sts-coolers.html

https://www.cat  ur-cooler.77329/

One thing I do is sprinkle baking soda inside and wipe it all over inside with a soft cloth and then rinse well and let air dry.

I would cover the bottom with kitty litter to soak up odours.Leave open for couple of days inside where kitty litter will not get wet.Then clean with lemon juice.Rinse with just water.

I always use baking soda and alittle water! Absorbs all smells! Works like a charm!