Ceilings

I have heard a lot about painting a ceiling something other than white. Do you go one shade lighter than the walls? What is your ideas on this? Also, about ceiling tiles, can you paint them? What have any of you done with a ceiling with tiles? I can't afford to remove them.

Thanks,
Annie

Hi Annie,
I'd recommend one shade lighter or more shades lighter. It makes the room seem larger and the light reflects off the lighter color. It really depends on on how light your rooms are.

You can paint ceiling tiles, it works very well.
- Susan

I do not have ceiling tiles but I do have the popcorn ceiling that is ugly to me. In my laundry room, which I painted a pale watercolor shade of blue, I used a large round sponge and did a random pattern of spots. The effect turned out very nicely.The white ceiling with blue spots reminds you of the sky on a clear pretty day.

Personally I believe a painted ceiling makes a room look smaller but people should do what they want to in their own homes.