Painting a Ceiling

Category Painting
Painting a Ceiling
When painting overhead, there are a number of things to keep in mind to help reduce your cleanup. This guide is about painting a ceiling.

The next time you find yourself facing the task of painting a ceiling or up under an overhang, cut a hollow rubber ball in two and slip on half open side up over the handle of your brush. The cup will catch the drippings and prevent them from running up your arm.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

When you need to paint above your head and don't want paint drips falling on the floor or on your face, cut a slit in a paper plate and put your paint brush handle through it. The plate will catch the drips.

I have been reading a post about painting a ceiling red . . . I am toying with dark plum for my kitchen - any thoughts? I really think that it will be great (plus my husband "forbid" me to do it - which of course means - it HAS to be done!) - but anyone tried this one before?

tippytoad from Neosho, MO

If I were in your same situation, I'd leave the ceiling white and not paint it red or dark plum. Once it is painted and you don't like it, it will take numerous coats of white paint to change the color back to white. It's a lot easier to darker a color than to lighten it.

Marge from NY

Solid dark plum is a beautiful color but it will make your kitchen awfully dark. Laura Ashley makes wallpaper and accessories in beige with a dark plum design(if your husband "forbids" you to do it you might as well make it expensive too). This would give you the dark plum but keep the room bright. Use solid dark plum for the dining room/area. Or use it in the bedroom. Very sensual -- your husband might love that!

If you've ever painted with red, you'd reconsider. Red is THE most difficult colour to apply. It will take a minimum of 3 coats to cover.

My daughter painted her bedroom red, and we think it's beautiful, but, Wow! -- what a job.

If you're prepared to paint above your head for 3 (or more) coats, go for it, but be prepared for a lot of work!!

Use the dark plum for the crown moldings at the top of the walls, but leave the main ceiling lighter. Otherwise, you'll be saying to yourself "I'm too proud to say my husband was right but dayum it's dark in here..."

Does your kitchen have high ceilings? The only reason I could think of that I would consider a dark color on my ceiling is if I wanted to bring the ceiling down and make the room seem larger and as others have said it will darken the room.

I think you should listen to your husband, he might have the right ideal.

I agree with the folks who recommend you reconsider. Dark plum will really make the kitchen dark & gloomy. Also, I painted one living room wall a brick red - I love it, but it took 4 coats plus some more touch up. Maybe hubby is right for once?

Seems like it would be living in a cave.

We did it. You'll HATE it! It closes up the room so you feel like a troll under the bridge. Also, while it seems cool at first, it grows old REAL fast.

Don't do it.

I think you'll feel like you have a dark cloud over your head. Your ceiling will look closer to you. WE all want our ceilings to look high and expensive rather than short and squat.

I have 8 foot ceilings in my house. Regular ceiling paint has a grayish tint to it. I feel like there is a dismal cloud over my head. I'm painting my ceilings a clear white. dont forget that ceilings have a certain amount of shadow on them as light from windows rarely shines directly on the ceiling.

I have heard a lot about painting a ceiling something other than white. Do you go one shade lighter than the walls? What is your ideas on this? Also, about ceiling tiles, can you paint them? What have any of you done with a ceiling with tiles? I can't afford to remove them.

Thanks,
Annie

Hi Annie,

I'd recommend one shade lighter or more shades lighter. It makes the room seem larger and the light reflects off the lighter color. It really depends on on how light your rooms are.

You can paint ceiling tiles, it works very well.

- Susan

I do not have ceiling tiles but I do have the popcorn ceiling that is ugly to me. In my laundry room, which I painted a pale watercolor shade of blue, I used a large round sponge and did a random pattern of spots. The effect turned out very nicely.The white ceiling with blue spots reminds you of the sky on a clear pretty day.

Personally I believe a painted ceiling makes a room look smaller but people should do what they want to in their own homes.

How is the best way to paint hard textured ceilings?

By Vincent H from Southampton, UK

Use the thickest, most fluffy paint roller you can find. I have one that is seven inches in diamiter made of lambs wool but I doubt if you will find one that thick. It's over one hundred years old and was my Great Grandfathers. Do however get the thickest one made. You will also need to cover with lots of plastic and use eye goggles. You will have paint over spray falling into your eyes.

Is there a easy way of painting a kitchen ceiling that has downlights fitted into it? Do I have to try and pop them out or must I navigate around them? Any advice would be appreciated.

By Tony

Anonymous

If you mean the lights that are recessed into the ceiling you should be able to gently pop off the outer cover that lays flush with the ceiling around the light with a flat head screwdriver. If not, it's freehand style painting ;-)

I have paint peeling on my bathroom ceiling next to the ceiling fan (no window). What do I use to seal the ceiling before repainting?

By Annie from Shepherds Bush London

It is best to use an oil base sealer if none are available use Kilz, available at Home Depot. Happy painting.

Rygobus