AdvicePets

Yorkie With Hair Loss

I found my 2 year old Yorkie at my door step several months back. She was infested with ticks and fleas. I got her cleaned up, but about a month ago she got some hairless spots on her back. I was thinking that it could be hot spots or mange.

The thing is that she does not scratch excessively. She is tan with gray and had a small black patch on her back. Her hair started to regrow, but it's black. This black hair looks like it is spreading. It started as 3 round bald spots, to having this black hair from neck to tail. If any one knows what this could be, can you let me know?

By yolanda from FL

It could be that she is allergic to some of the ingredients in her dog food, we had this problem with one of our dogs. Try giving her a dog food with more "natural" ingredients and see if the problem clears up.

I agree with the previous writer, my dog would get bald spots because of corn in his dry food. He was allergic. I think corn is a common allergy.

Could it possibly be ringworms?

This could be an allergy to flea bites. Check the dog over for teeny; tiny black specs. The ones that move are fleas, the specs could be the flea eggs or droppings. When you wash the dog, the water will be black or red from the dried blood of the fleas biting the dog.

The dog may be miserable. Run it to the vet for the proper stuff to use. There are home remedies for fleas on the internet too. You will have to treat your house, yard, and dog at the same time "if" this is the actual problem. fff

Thank you all for your input. It was very helpful.

Dr. Marty, a Vet, was on Martha Stewart today and said Fish Oil is the best thing for dry skin. Add some to your dog's food and/or give them some with a dropper. He has a Sirrus radio show and talks about foods that can heal. Wal Mart also sells brewer's yeast in dog aisle to help skin/coats. Good luck. I have a soft spot for lil yorkies with those tootsie roll eyes that steal your heart.