AdviceHealth & Beauty

Treating Osteoporosis Without Prescription Medication

I have osteoporosis of the spine. Has anyone here on Thriftyfun successfully reversed osteoporosis without prescription medication? Also, what kind of exercises do you do? I've read that you must be very careful with the types of exercise, no sit ups. I've been afraid to ice skate for fear of fracture if I take a spill. I know weight bearing is supposed to be good, but how can you do that without stressing the spine? I take calcium, strontium, and vitamin D.

By Arlinn from NY

Anonymous

If your insurance will cover it or you can afford it I suggest asking your GP or Specialist for a referral for a few physical therapy classes. In doing that you'll learn all of the safe and proper ways to do weight bearing exercises custom made especially for you. I would also ask if you can do crunches since you can't do full on sit ups because your tummy being strong is the most important because it's the center of your body strength.

I also have osteoporosis that has caused a T4 fracture and have lower spine arthritis. I learned the correct exercises for me in physical therapy and just keep up the routine in my home now. I take multi-vitamins, calcium (capsules because your body absorbs them better than tablets) (and be careful with calcium because too much in a day combined with the calcium you eat can cause kidney stones. Don't consume more than 2500 mg a day), Vitamin D, Vitamin K and Magnesium. Be sure to consult with your doctor what are safe doses for you and to be sure there will be no prescription medication interactions!

I don't really think there is any way to reverse osteoporosis for everyone but you can slow it down. Even though it's claimed that presciption medications will do the trick there are many cases where it has done more damage.

Well I used to have osteoporosis and took Fosamax for a lot of years. Then I read an article where women who took it long term were getting femur fractures so my doctor took me off it. That was about a year ago. The last time I was tested, it was gone! Didn't even have osteopenia (the precursor of osteoporosis). When she took me off the Fosamax, I started taking Vitamin D and calcium and did a bit more exercise. That is the only thing that I can think of that might have reversed it.

I took Fosamax for a few years and had terrible pain in my hips, legs and shoulders. One summer I stood at my desk with my keyboard on five phone books because the pain was much worse when I sat down. As soon as I went off it, I felt much better. If you are taking it and have pain, see your doctor. Those are some of the side effects. It may not be the right drug for you.

Personally, I'd never, ever take the meds. I haven't heard of anyone who had good results, and all I've ever heard is not good. I was told that I have osteoporosis in my hips and other clinic told me it was optopenia. A friend took the injection (don't know the name) but had jaw pain really bad that lasted nearly a year.