Reducing Bone Loss

Reducing Bone Loss
Many women and some men will suffer from osteoporosis or bone loss as they age. This is a guide about reducing bone loss.

90% of post-menopausal women have a significant bone loss, called osteoporosis, that can start as early as age 25. Studies have shown that you can minimize this bone loss by taking calcium each day, along with Vitamin D to aid its absorption and exercising to increase bone density. Although many foods contain calcium, you'll need about 1200 mg. per day, which probably means you'll have to take supplements. It is almost virtually impossible to consume that amount in food per day. The vitamin D you need is produced when sunlight comes in contact with your skin, so spend some time outside each day, preferably exercising.

By joesgirl

Has anyone had bone loss in their bottom jaw causing the ridge of your jaw to set lower down making dentures loose? If so what did you do to restore it, other than taking calcium? Thanks for any help.

By Anne from Lewiston, ME

I had an implant bar surgically put in 24 yrs ago and have had no bone loss since then. It is two titanium pegs placed in the lower front jaw bone with a bar across the front about an inch long. The denture then snaps onto the bar and keeps it from rubbing on the gums. The bone loss is from pressure of chewing or clenching. In the meantime, take out your lower denture at night when you sleep. I don't know of anything oral you can take.

My dentist told me that taking calcium will not help bone loss in the jaw. It's not the same process as osteoporosis. When I asked him what I could do other than surgery, he said there was nothing! He's ivy league educated, but I'm still interested in hearing from any of you who have improved your jaw bone loss situation!

Bone loss in the jaw can only be fixed with surgery, sorry.

For some reason I have been fortunate, even though I have been wearing the same dentures, upper and lower full plates for over 40 years, but the lowers still sit very well, and it is a good thing, because I can not imagine any of the "goop" that I could stand, or surgeries I could afford, but I have heard that the only help is the titanium pegs if the denture fits too poorly to allow effective. chewing. Sorry that seems to be the only option. My husband is facing that if his do not "settle in" but he is getting accustomed to them.

Bone Grafting is the only way to restore bone loss in the jaw. Bone loss occurs due to many things> poor dentition, many extractions, genetics, and most commonly gum disease.

If you consider bone grafting, seek a reputable oral surgeon or periodontist. It is not a procedure that your dentist would be doing, unless he has taken many, many courses on it.

Good Luck

Thank you all for your input. have been back and have to go back again, can not wear for any lenght of time and eating solid food in impossible. Understand newly licensed according to receptionist. My own dentist does not do this type ok work anymore How do I find one that is good?

What is the name of the bone health supplement that Dr. Oz recently mentioned?

By Pat

Go to Google.com. type in Dr Oz bone supplement.

I think the bone supplement recently recommended by Dr Oz is AlgaeCal plus.

Dr. Oz is a nice enough guy, but he's too quick to declare something as fact based on just one scientific study. He's also too quick to talk as if only one magic supplement will do the trick, when there are many equally effective supplements out there.

For bone health, you need Calcium, vitamin D to help you absorb the calcium, and protein.

The key is to finding a form of calcium that won't constipate you (calcium carbonate is never a good form of calcium to take). Anything in the form of a hard pill isn't good, because it's hard for your system to break down. (That's why anything you get at a supermarket or chain drug store isn't very effective.) A clear capsule with powder inside is a better bet, and there are many brands like this available at places like GNC or any health food store.

If you can't find a calcium supplement like this that's paired with vitamin D, then you can buy the D separately, either as an oil-filled type of capsule or a dry type in a clear capsule. Drug store vitamin D capsules are fine, in this case.

As for protein, you should pretty much try to get that from your diet. Your doctor can recommend dietary sources, and there's info on the internet as well. Just don't fall into any fad diet traps! :)

Another very important thing for bone health is any sort of impact exercise, like walking. It stimulates your body to produce more bone. A trampoline won't work, as that softens the impact too much.

Good luck!

Dr. Oz has had a couple of shows recently that were devoted to building strong bones. The supplement he mentioned is Algaecal (made from marine plants in South America). Dosage: 1 capsule 3 times per day.

Hope this answers your question! Blessings.