Reducing Bone Loss

90% of post-menopausal women have a significant bone loss, called osteoporosis, that can start as early as age 25. Studies have shown that you can minimize this bone loss by taking calcium each day, along with Vitamin D to aid its absorption and exercising to increase bone density. Although many foods contain calcium, you'll need about 1200 mg.

per day, which probably means you'll have to take supplements. It is almost virtually impossible to consume that amount in food per day. The vitamin D you need is produced when sunlight comes in contact with your skin, so spend some time outside each day, preferably exercising.

By joesgirl

This is very important to know. It is a silent disease because you don't know you have it until you start breaking bones. Just because you do not fit the "usual" profile (short, small boned caucasian female) do not assume that means you aren't at risk. I am 53. I got a full scan recently and discovered I have Osteoporosis! I encourage everyone to get the full scan as a base line. Do not get the heel or wrist scan.

Are you a guy? It is true women are suseptible more than men, but men are still at risk.

Here is the site for good information. It is the main organization
http://www.nof.org/

Sicl

By Coleen (Guest Post)

One 8 ounce serving of milk has 30% of a day's calcium requirement. Most drinking glasses used these days hold more than 8 ounces. So, drink a glass of milk at breakfast, another at lunch, and one for supper -- and you have nearly met the requirement right there.

By Melissa (Guest Post)

True! And, a little known fact about calcium is that it also helps with PMS, in that the greater the calcium deficency, the more severe the PMS, and that products like Midol only treat the symptoms. Calcium + D treats the cause, but, like joesgirl said, it has to be taken every day, even if it's not "that time". It made a Huge difference for me. Plus, I've heard it also helps with colon polyps.