AdviceHealth & Beauty

Allergic Reaction to Flip Flops

Category Advice

I wore a pair of rubber flip flops all summer, but towards the end of the summer my feet started itching terribly right where the straps of the sandals are. It turned into a rash that itched all the time and had tiny blisters with clear liquid that was definitely right where the shoe touched my foot. I threw the sandals away and bought new flip flops from Polo Ralph Lauren.


The same thing happened! So I stopped wearing flip flops completely, and the rash has gotten a little better, but it won't completely go away. I've used hydrocortisone, but it isn't showing the results I would like. Does anyone know of anything that could help? Thanks.

By Ashton B.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 18, 20110 found this helpful

Are you getting the rash between your toes? You probably just have very sensitive skin. Maybe lightly use some type of Gold bond before you put on your shoes?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 19, 20110 found this helpful

Sounds like a fungus to me. Try an athlete's foot product.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 19, 20110 found this helpful

This could be athlete's foot. Get a remedy from the drug store. Or it may be some severe allergic reaction to the shoes.


I have seen things posted on the internet about this. A trip to the doctor might be in order. Certainly, toss those new flop flops as well.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 27, 20180 found this helpful

Could it be latex in the rubber

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 19, 20110 found this helpful

It could be that you're allergic to something in the rubber. There was a case a few years ago of a girl who bought flip-flops at Wal-Mart and had a severe reaction to the flip-flops. However, it wasn't only her, but the people at the store who were stocking the shelves - they had reactions too. I'm not sure if they were recalled, but it is very possible that you may be suffering the same thing. It'd be a good idea to check with your doctor.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 21, 20110 found this helpful

Could be you developed an allergy to the rubber or something else in the straps after wearing them for awhile. Or maybe it was just a reaction of the constant pressure on sensitive, sweaty skin in the heat.


If you still have it, you may need prescription hydro-cortisone, sometimes the OTC stuff just isn't strong enough.But first, try covering the spots with the cortisone, then covering them with gauze pads & medical tape. This protects them while they heal.

You can also either soak your feet in a bucket of water with teabags - or just get a bowl of water, let the teabags soak in it, then use them (or a clean rag) to wipe your feet several times a day with it until it heals. Benadryl helps with the itching, you can take the children's liquid benadryl & adjust your dose so it doesn't make you drowsy during the day.

I have the same problem sometimes, but mine happens with socks. Sometimes in the summer when I wear socks & my feet get really hot, I'll take my shoes off at the end of the day & the tops of my feet will be so extremely itch.


Doesn't matter even if I don't scratch, the whole tops of my feet are covered with tiny blister-like bumps. It drives me insane & I'll scratch them open at night. Takes weeks to heal.

I do the things I mentioned above. When I'm lucky to have prescription higher strength hydro-cortisone, I use it. When I don't have it, I do what I told you above. I'll also take 1/4-1/2tsp of liquid (generic) benadryl during the daytime hours & the full dose at night. Sometimes it takes weeks to heal, especially if you scratch. I try to go barefoot or wear sandals as much as possible when I get it, & if I have to wear shoes, I'll cover the tops of my feet with the gauze & medical tape to protect it.

It pops out occasionally on the tops of my hands too, for no reason. I have a lot of allergies, so I think that's probably what it is, but it's really miserable until it heals!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 25, 20110 found this helpful

Here is what happened to my hands, it spread to my arms, legs and neck. All from garden Gloves made in China. It has been since Aug. 2008 until now to clear up all but my hands.


2011 and I still have to use a prescription cream every night with exam gloves and during the day when I garden. I have to use the Nitrile exam gloves (same gloves your doctors and nurses use) when I do dishes too. It is not worth the risk. GG Vi

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 22, 20170 found this helpful

My daughter has a allergic reaction to the rubbery sole of flip flops. Her foot breaks out with peeling skin that turns purple.


The Dr prescribed a cream that made it go away. She doesn't have the problem if she stays away from wearing flip flops.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 5, 20180 found this helpful

You have pomphlyx, it's an eczema and you need strong cortisone like 0.2 or higher, it's not the flip flops. Lower your sugar intake and avoid nickel in diet and jewelry. Soak your feet in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 18, 2011
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/01/02 20:35:54 in 776 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!