DecoupageCrafts

How Do I Decoupage a Plain Glass Plate?

Does anyone know the instructions on how to decoupage a plain glass plate? What materials will I need?
Thanks.

By grannyone from Hilliard, FL

Best Answer

Obviously you need the plate (lol), mod podge, and brushes. The plate won't be able to be used for any food, it will be just for decorative purposes. Pick the design, either paper or fabric that you want to apply to the plate, then brush some of the mod podge to the back side of that and apply it on the desired location. Then smooth out any wrinkles that are in the design, then apply the mod podge to the entire surface, making sure to get as many wrinkles as possible out of the design.

Apply 2-3 coats of this to the top, allowing each layer to dry completely. After the last layer is completely dried I spray on a layer of clear polyurethane because to me it seems like the mod podge finish alone collects a quite bit of dust, because it always feels just a tiny bit sticky and the spray on finish seems to help avoid that, also it gives the item a nice gloss.

Thank you so much for the instructions. I would like to make these for xmas gifts for my grandchildren as I will be using photos that they have send to me over the years of my great grandchildren. These can be displayed and sure to be a conversation item.
Again thanks, redhatterb

You may be able to put a clear glass plate on top of the pretty plate and use it for a meal.

Matilda you are right about putting a clear glass plate on top of the other one and using it for food. When I decopage on plates, I use the clear glass ones and put the design on the back side. I still don't use them for anything other than decoration. An example is one I helped my developmentally disabled daughter make as a 4-H project in a group that was for disabled people. We covered the back of the plate with the mod podge stuff and then lightly sprinkled silver glitter on it then covered the entire back of the plate with a piece of Elvis fabric. Then cover the entire back of the fabric with the mod poge stuff, making sure to get all of the wrinkles out.