Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture

Can someone please give me tips on how to stop my 3 month Chow mix from biting my couch?

By Cindy from Los Angeles, CA

Bitter apple spray.

Sounds like your pup is teething. They do sell teething rings for dogs. I use to give my pup cardboard lids from boxes. She torn them all up which must have given her relief and comfort from teething cause she did leave the furniture alone. I always had cardboard around until all her adult teeth finally came out.

Does anyone know how to stop a dog from eating furniture? I cannot cage them together or separate them as they get so agitated, they hurt themselves. There are 2 of them. One is over a year and the other one is about 9 months. If I confine them in one room they tear up the paneling or paper on the walls. Thank you.

By Ray from Concord, NC

Answers:

Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture

I'd crate train them. I know that you stated that they get agitated if you cage them, whether separate or apart, but it seems that they are also agitated when they're left out in your house, as evidence by their chewing/eating furniture.

To crate train, you put the dog in the crate (separate from each other) whenever you can't be right there to keep them safe and keep your home and furniture safe. That way, they can't ruin your things and also can't get themselves into danger from splinters from eating wooden furniture or getting into some poisons or swallowing something large enough to choke on. There are dangers to them in leaving them have free roam in your home.

Crating the dogs also means you can be nicer to them (you don't have to yell or otherwise discipline them for getting into humbuck).

You don't mention what kind of dogs you have. Knowing the breed might help folks give you advice.

Good luck. (07/14/2009)

By tsiegl

Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture

Try Bitter Apple Spray, you can get it at the pet store. It worked on mine.
(07/16/2009)

By IHEARTDOGS

Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture

Crating is good, and so is bitter apple. I didn't want to drop ten bucks on a bottle, so I used my all purpose safe to have around recipe, a small spray bottle of water with crushed hot pepper and soaked over night. I have two puppies slowly trying to eat the last wooden window in the house, a big bay one that I'm saving to replace, where they hang out and watch the world.

I just had surgery and I am poor, so I used it, and they definitely noticed. It has to be reapplied every couple days, because it will take that long for them to remember and keep testing favorite spots. I also use this on plants outside for bugs and deer.

The way I was taught to cage train a dog was incentive. Hide small treats in the crates, and then put them in. After a while, they associate the crate with security (like a den) and mine hang in there even if they don't have to. If thunder claps, look out-here go three dogs to their little "houses". (07/16/2009)

By damaged05170