Link: Safe CFL Light Bulb Disposal

Yes, we're talking about those, soon to be legally required, spiral or curved and tube type light bulbs called Compact Fluorescent Light (I call them Curly Federal Light). It's really important to know that they have enough of an amount of mercury contained in them that they can cause very serious health and environmental problems, especially collectively.

Please open the link below for a thorough list issued by the Environmental Protection Agency January 25, 2011 on how to clean up the hazardous waste from broken CFL light bulbs and how to dispose of both broken and unbroken bulbs. You are going to be shocked at the seriousness of the details! It's important not just for you and your loved ones, but also for our environment in general to be a responsible citizen when it comes to CFL bulb handling and disposal.

• http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

By Ann from Richland, WA

• Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Wow! I always knew that a fluorescent bulb was dangerous but this is an eye opener.

Thank you for this very important information. We really need to be super cautious should we break one of these bulbs. While the mercury bulbs save us energy which is good, there is a down side too.

Where I live in CT there are stores like the home depot which will take in used bulbs. Once again be careful how you package them so that they don't break.

Thank you so much. I had no idea!
    I sent that link to everyone that I know.

I say since the government (EPA) is FORCING us to use these, if they break we should send them to them and let them worry about it. Now, First Energy is going to be mailing these bulbs (6 at a time on a monthly basis) whether we need/want them or not. So, since the US Postal Service is so careful handling our packages, what happens if we open them and the bulbs are broken? Now what? These bulbs are going to be mailed for "FREE" HA, HA, HA. for the first couple of months then there will be an added charge to our electric bill to pay for them. Nice huh?

Anonymous

chef4u, I am appalled that the CFL bulbs are being foisted on us all in the first place and even more so about the program you say is happening in Ohio that is being forced on you! And what I don't understand is that Ohio seems to think you need six bulbs a month?

I thought CFL's were energy efficient enough for each bulb to last for years and years! Sheesh :-( And points well taken on handling during shipping!