MiscellaneousCleaning

How Can I Clean a Medical Cast?

Besides not getting a cast wet, how do I clean it without causing eventual odors?

By Judy from Memphis

I know that they can get grubby looking, and not sure how to clean them. I would contact the staff at the office of the doctor that placed it. Otherwise, if you have enough, you can wrap the cast with ace wrap, those can be removed and washed, either tied up in an old pillow case, or in one the mesh type lingerie wash bags. Our local discount store has ace wraps for 99 cents each. One or two should be enough to cover a lower leg cast. One should cover a hand/forearm cast.

If you've had the cast for more than a week or so, call and see if the office will change it for you at no cost. Sometimes the swelling will reduce to the point where you move around inside the cast, so it should be changed.

If not, Febreze works amazingly well, just don't saturate the cast with it.