IrrigationGardening

Using Buckets Under Downspouts

My husband never got around to setting up a rain barrel system under our downspout, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I set out several 5-gal. pails, a large plastic garbage can, and even my wheelbarrow along the ground, in a line, directly under the garage roof edge. After a good rain, I was surprised to find all of them filled to the brim. Now I leave them there and continually have enough to water my plants!

By Anne L from Green Bay, WI

I use a variety of large water containers here in Florida to collect rainwater for my plants, lining them up under the eaves to take advantage of every drop.. Water is very expensive and highly restricted in this area because we have been in and (very seldom)out of drought here for many years.

For the same reason I grow smaller versions of several fruit trees and fruit bearing bushes in very large pots since it is easier to assure them enough water to at least stay alive in the worst times. I don't know about your area but here there are two problems that need vigilance. The first is mosquitoes. I am careful to add Prestrike or a similar product to the water barrels often to assure that mosquitoes cannot grow in them. The other problem is mold growing on the concrete garage or house walls behind the barrels.

Again vigilance is the key. As soon as I see some starting to grow I scrub it down with a healthy squirt of THE WORKS, an inexpensive toilet cleaning product. Also a dusting of Comet cleanser on the soil kills off the spores that the mold grows from.

I am using kitty litter buckets to collect my rain water. I can't keep it due to very high mosquito activity this year but it works for the next watering.

Anonymous

I would recommend covering the containers of water after the rain if you live in mosquito country! They look for standing water to lay their eggs in!

Anonymous

If you setup a bucket underneath where your A/C drips out, you can collect nearly 5 gallons of distilled water per day in the summer.

Anonymous

That's a good idea unless you have asphalt based shingles. When the water runs over them, they leach oils and toxins into the water and you in turn water your garden with this. It matters little in a flower garden but would matter a great deal if you watered your vegetables with this.