Warming Baby Bottles

What is the quickest way to warm a baby bottle? I have been warming it on the stove which takes forever. I was also wondering, do those portable bottle warmers from Babies R Us ($24.99) work?

When traveling, I use a small soft lunch bag with a reusable ice pack to keep the milk cold. Do you have any better suggestions?

By Onesummer

When my girls were babies I had an electric bottle warmer and that one didn't cost near as much as what you mentioned. I got mine in a basic drug store or else an old fashioned dime store like Woolworths. I'm sure it doesn't take you any longer to heat a bottle on the stove now, than it ever did. I have heard of people heating them in the microwave, but I have also heard that can be dangerous, because some areas can get overly warm.

What ever you do, do not use the microwave. The milk on your arm test might feel cool but the temp inside can be very hot.

Also the heat distroys the vitamins in breast milk. The best thing to do is set the bottle in warm water to take the chill off. The milk only needs to be 98 degrees, no hotter and less than that is fine. If the baby is several months old no warming is required, just a room temp bottle will do.

Both of my daughters are nurses - one an OB nurse - and they alway warm their bottles in the microwave. This was after they had weaned their babies, and had a lot of frozen breast milk stocked up. As far as worrying about "hot spots" in the milk, all you have to do is shake it up to even out the warmth. It only takes a matter of seconds to warm up a bottle. When they had to go to formula, then it was just a matter of warming up the water to mix it, and the microwave is still the quickest when you have a crying baby.

Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 20, 2011
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-10 18:24:37 in 929 msecs. ⛅️️