Meat Loaf for Dogs

Making a meatloaf for your pet is a good way to incorporate veggies and grains such as oats or brown rice into their diet. This is a guide about meat loaf for dogs.

This recipe was fed to my dog on occasion when he was at the veterinary hospital following back surgery.

• 1 1/2 lb. ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey)
  • 2 cups cooked and pureed beans or one 16 oz. can of pinto beans (drained)
  • 2 cups rolled oats (more if mixture seems too thin)
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice cooled (approx 2 cups dry)
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1-2 cups liquid (water, milk, or fat free chicken or beef stock)
  • 1 bouillon cube for flavor or 1 tsp. granules
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups (1lb) pureed vegetables or 1 can mixed vegetables, drained
  • 3 tsp. garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. salt substitute
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Mix and place in 2 large or 3 small loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour or longer, depending on your oven. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.

Turn out on cutting board and cool completely in order to slice well. Slice and put in containers to freeze.

It is easier to mix ingredients if you puree beans, stock, eggs, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce and veggies before adding remaining ingredients

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

I want to make meatloaf for my elderly toy Poodle who is in reasonably good health. I considered putting grated carrots and brown rice with the ground chuck. What about cheese and perhaps tomato sauce?

Do you have a healthy recipe or are any of the ingredients I listed detrimental for my little, tiny Peanut?

Thank you for any input.

By Nancy E.

Answers

I got this recipe from one of the vet technicians where I take my dog.

1 1/2 lb. ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey)
2 cups cooked and pureed beans or one 16 oz. can of pinto beans (drained)
2 cups rolled oats (more if mixture seems too thin)

4 cups cooked brown rice cooled (approx 2 cups dry)
1 cup wheat germ
1-2 cups liquid (water, milk, or fat free chicken or beef stock)
1 bouillon cube for flavor or 1 tsp. granules
2 eggs
2 cups (1lb) pureed vegetables or 1 can mixed vegetables, drained
3 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. salt substitute
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Mix and place in 2 large or 3 small loaf pans. Bake 350 degrees F for one hour or longer, depending on your oven. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.

It is easier to mix ingredients if you puree beans, stock, eggs, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce and veggies before adding remaining ingredients.

Cheese (dairy) and tomato are toxic to our pets. P.S. Please place your pet in a carrier when you travel.

My sis in law makes her own dog food, in a similar fashion. She doesn't make a loaf of it, just mixes it all together in a bowl.

She mixes boiled deboned chicken, cooked brown rice, and semi-soft cooked vegetables (carrots, broccoli, etc) and moistens with some of the chicken cooking liquid.

She also subs in boiled beef, cut up, in place of the chicken. I am sure that you can find many nice recipes like that for your pet. Just be sure to check that you aren't adding anything that may be toxic to your pet.

I use a pound of deer meat, fry it in the skillet and drain the low content of grease before adding a drained can of vegetables either chopped green beans, carrots or peas along with 3/4 cup of rice and additional water. If I use the beans, I wash the brine off them to remove salt. Salt should not be in their diet, nor onions, or darker vegetables such as spinach or broccoli.

Any leftovers are placed in a container with lid and stored in the frig for later. Can also add the extra to a new batch later. If you choose to use chicken or turkey, make sure the skin is removed from the meat before preparing; this part is not good for dogs. Because there is natural fat in chicken, I boil it in water and remove the grease content as it can make a dog vomit as my dogs are sensitive to chicken fat.

You can make this into a meat loaf or as a casserole type skillet dish.

Also, my dogs enjoy a meat pizza for their birthdays. I used a can of biscuits rolled flat, cooked and drained ground beef or deer, boiled hot dogs to remove salt and fat and a thin spreading of low calorie cottage cheese sprinkled with a garden tomato diced.

Place the biscuit dough in a pizza pan, generously sprinkle the meat and sliced hotdogs over it and add other ingredients and bake. Cut into bite size pieces and serve warm. Leftovers can be heated in microwave with a wet paper towel placed on top to keep the bread moist.