5 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

Any ideas for a stay at home birthday party for a 5 year old boy?

Missy from OK

How about a pirate party, complete with hats (or they can make their own) and eye patches, backyard treasure hunt using a home-made treasure map, with real treasure at the end (our "treasure" was a pinata filled with candy etc.), picnic table decorated (esp. with butcher paper) to become a "pirate ship", etc. We did this several years ago, and it was one of the most fun parties we've done--and I've done MANY. Everyone, from the toddler "go alongs" to the pre-teen cousins had a great time! We bought a plain white-frosted Costco cake and decorated it with a few pirate toys and some "gold dubloons" (chocolate foil-wrapped coins). The possibilities are endless! Have fun!

2 hrs, 5 guests, a craft, a few games, goodie bags, cake and ice cream. KISS

We had a "knight party" for my son for his 5th. I bought the inexpensive plastic knight helmets for the boys party hats (and it was also their party favor). I got the girls the little fabric cone shaped damsel hats for the girls party hats (party favor). I went online and found a castle cake (basically 2 square cakes, get 2 soup cans and bake cake in them then cut them in half -these are the towers, sugar cones upside down on top of the towers and decorate with gumdrops). You can get really creative with the cake from there. It was a real hit. I called several friends and borrowed a bunch of stick horses and had a stick horse race. We did a dragon pinata.

We made a craft using cardboard wrapping paper tubes. I got ribbon, fake jewels, metallic and pastel paints, glitter. I cut sword handles out of construction paper and stapled it about 3/4 down the tube. We cut the opposite end of the tube to a point. The boys painted their sword silver and decorated the handle. The girls painted their tubes a pretty pastel & decorated long pieces of ribbon with glitter and jewels. Then we stapled multiple ribbons to the end of the tube to make a wand-sort-of-thing. :-) We did the craft first, played the other games then just let them loose to play with their new handmade toys. They had a blast. I know that was lengthy - sorry -but hope it inspires someone else. Have a great time!