OdorsCleaning

Getting Rid of Ammonia Odor in Rug

I am pulling my hair out. I have a synthetic rug and the last time that I cleaned it I used ammonia on it. This was the first time I have cleaned with it.

Now I have just cleaned my rug again and used Bissel rug cleaner, but my rug smells of ammonia really bad. Can you help me please? I took it outside and hosed it on a hot day to try and push that terrible smell out, but no luck.

By midge from Vancouver, Canada

If you can find this in Canada, a product called Febreze made by Procter and Gamble should do the trick. My husband left a pillow and pillow case in a camper. When I discovered them the mold and smell was awful. I washed and bleached the items, but the odor still persisted. Since this was a matching pillowcase to a set of sheets I was not happy to toss it out, or the pillow either. I sprayed the Febreze on the items and no more smell. Just let the rug dry thoroughly before you put it on the floor. You might have to repeat it. Good luck!