Making My Laminated Flooring Shiny Again

I have a laminated flooring that was installed about 5 years ago. My problem is that when I clean the floor with the suggested cleaning liquid by the manufacturer, or now the new Clorox or Swifter cleaners that I have also tried, the floor retains a dull film that I can't remove back to my shiny floor. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a remedy for it? Could it possibly be a hard water problem?

Ruth from Jackson, MI

By Kelly (Guest Post)

Try washing your floors with warm water and about a cup of vinegar (I use an ice cream pail 3/4 full of water and just pour some vinegar in). This is all my mom and I have ever used to wash floors and our floors both look great. My mom's lino. is 15 years old at least and although it is starting to wear at the seams it is still shiny.

By Mary (Guest Post)

I haven't tried it myself, but a co-worker said she adds vinegar (sorry, I don't know how much) to her water and that it eliminated the problem for her.

someone told me to try vinegar as well, it hasnt made my floors shine at all. I found a cleaner/shine formula, but it only shines the floor until it drys.. then it goes back to dull.

I use a drywall pole that has that they use for the sandpaper for drywall ( Lowes) that just sticks to the bottom but instead I use a ShamWow. I spray some water and vineger and use the ShamWow and it cleans it and the floor drys quickly leaving a shine. Works great on tile too!

By MAMAB (Guest Post)

I use 1 cup vinegar per 1 gallon of water. But it has not taken away the dull look.

Please someone help. My laminated floor is only a year old. I did not know I could not use oil soap.

I agree with you. I've used the vinegar and water mixture and mine is still just as dull as before. I'm beginning to wish I'd never had the laminate flooring installed.

Same here. Mine has been down since we built, 14 years ago. It has been dull most of that time. Hate it, can't afford to replace with the real thing. I used nothing but clear water until recently. Have been using white vinegar and it looks just as bad as it did.
No more laminate for me.

I buy the cheap ShaWows they sell at the dollar store

Do you use white vinegar for the cleaning or the browner types of vinegar? Or does it make any difference what kind you use?

My floor film was so bad I was ready to replace the floor but I called Bruce's Floor Cleaner and they told me they don't tell it but the film can be removed with 1 cup water in a gallon of warm water Scrub with white damp cloth to remove film. The thing was I was using Bruce's floor cleaner (dry thoroughly) which was what I had to do to remove. Cleaned it 3 times but if you look under Bono Floor cleaner for a Laminate flooring you also will find they also sell a polish for a Laminate flooring.

My opinion I don't believe we need to purchase a floor cleaner and just use the vinegar and water solution and the Bono polish. Best for you to Google and get your own opinions. I do know somewhere in here they are recommending vinegar and water for a cleaner. I will do more research before I do this but right now I am leaning toward doing that.

Mix eqaul parts hot water and vinegar. This works the best.