Cleaning a Wooden Guinea Pig Cage?

We have our guinea pig in a homemade cage with a wood bottom. I was wondering how I can safely disinfect the bottom of this when I clean his cage? I put paper in under the chips and it soaks up some of the mess from water bottle and urine, but not all of it. I would like to safely disinfect this area for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jmz2005 from IL

Would a grocery store have a large foil pan of the right shape? a pizza pan?

By Nicki R. (Guest Post)

I just heard about Chlorox all surface disinfectant spray. Apparently safe for kitchen counters, toys, etc. Sounds like this could be a good addition to your ultimate cleaning plan. I know I plan to get some.

By Soph from Tx (Guest Post)

Try Chlorox all surface sanitizing spray. It is supposed to be safe for kitchen counters, toys, etc.

By (Guest Post)

My family has had guinea pigs for years. I would just suggest soap and water for your cage with a thorough drying. Bleach, vinegar, may disinfect, but the smell may hurt your pet's lungs.

Piggers are much more sensitive to these things then we are. I read a previous post about foil lining. I would not suggest this either as the guinea pig may ingest the foil which would be fatal.

By (Guest Post)

Thank you for the suggestions. I cannot use bleach, for piggy reasons and human reasons, not safe for any of us to breathe. I will try the other suggestions tho. His cage doesnt smell, I just want to keep it that way. I keep it cleaned out daily.

Why don't you get a piece of plexi from the hardware store and line the bottom of the crate with it? Plexi is cheap and they will probably cut it to size for you at the store. This way you can remove the plexi and rinse with each cleaning?

By alicia (Guest Post)

I use vinegar and sometimes mix in peroxide. It should bubble if it's working.

By Kay (Guest Post)

www.guinealynx.info/housing.html

I would put a plastic tray in the bottom that you could clean easier than the wood. I have done that in my rabbit cage also.

Pets Guinea Pigs CagesNovember 13, 2008
😷
🐛
😎
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf15285996.tip.html

CagesGuinea Pigs