Is Homemade Flavored Olive Oil Safe?

I was given a bottle of homemade flavored (herbs and garlic) olive oil for Christmas. The friend who made it states it has not been refrigerated. Is this safe to consume?

Linda from Vista CA

Hi. I've thought that before as well. The olive oil was probably fresh because sounds like she made these for at least a couple of people as gifts. That would make sense to me at least. Since it is probably freshly opened, you can use it as you normally would use olive oil. Keep it under cap when you're not using it. That's how i would approach it.

I read that you should never trust any homemade oils with garlic in them because they could cause botulism poisoning very quickly--there is NO cure. I personally wouldn't take that chance. Do a little research on the internet just to verify that information and then you will know for sure.

Do not use it.
I have read that people who use home kitchens do not have the equipment to prevent botulism. Keep it to look at, but that's all. And warn your family.

By Barbara Jean (Guest Post)

It is probably not safe, and I wouldn't take the chance. I just read in one of my cookbooks that garlic in particular, in oil is can develop into botulism.

I wouldn't use it. In fact I was so alarmed about it, that I will probably not use garlic in any oil, even refrigerated.

It could be wrong, but the book said that garlic is the only thing that will do that. Apparently other herbs are okay. although I would think dried herbs would be safer.

And I would certainly refrigerate any oil/herb combination just to be safe.

By (Guest Post)

Did she use any vinegar in it? If you put a small amount of vinegar in with the herbs and garlic when she made the flavored oil, it should be OK. The vinegar keeps botulism (from the garlic) from forming. But it still should be refrigerated. If she didn't use any vinegar, I'd thank her profusely, then toss it--better safe than sorry.

By Linda (Guest Post)

Thanks to everyone who responded to the olive oil query. I though I had read something somewhere about botulism.

I hate to waste, but I'd hate even more to get sick! Into the trash it went!

I'm a little behind on postings but in case anyone runs across this in the future I thought this website referencing Bertolli's recommendations explained it pretty well.

www.b4-u-buy.com/homeoil.htm

By Tesy (Guest Post)

Well i will definitely continue to buy my oil infusions via store. The cost to buy it verses my life is a small price to pay. Thanks to mef1957, the link was very helpful as well as an eye opener. Check out the link to Bertoli

By shanaqua (Guest Post)

Where does it even say the ingredients and directions!

Editor's Note: It was a request asking about it's safety, not the recipe.

By cake (Guest Post)

www.wisegeek.com/is-it-safe-to-store-garlic-in-oil...

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyDecember 25, 2006
🐛
🌻
😷
😎
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf15290829.tip.html