Cross StitchNeedlework

Using a Larger Count Aida for Design

I am having difficulty seeing the Aida 18 count. How do I do my design using a larger count Aida? Does this change everything or can I just start as I did with the 18 count? The eyes are my problem with the smaller count.

By Lazza from Melbourne, Australia

The only thing it will change is the finished size of your project. Be sure to buy enough fabric to start with. Go by your square count not the size of fabric. Instead of 18 squares per inch you will have less such as 12 or 14 squares per inch. Good Luck.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I bought a piece of 14 count and have commenced to stitch. Voila, I can see it much better and having a stronger light has also helped. I think I like it much better on the larger count too. A bit bigger will be great as well.

I did a picture on 18 count by doubling the amount of thread and working over 2 squares. Makes the picture twice the size but looks great. I found this easier than working over one square.

Lazza, I too use to cross stitch on aida 18 I now use aida 14 it makes you design bigger so use a bigger piece of material and center it like you always have.