MeatloafRecipes

Lipton's Celebrated Meat Loaf

This was a favorite of mine growing up. It is supposedly, although I have not confirmed it, the actual Lipton meat loaf recipe. Very, very good!

• 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix, dry
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup ketchup

Directions:

Combine bread crumbs and soup mix. Add rest of ingredients. Do not add any salt or pepper; the soup mix takes care of that. Shape into a loaf and place in baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45-50 minutes.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45-50 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

The problem with this is that Lipton's onion soup is loaded with preservatives, MSG and has a high salt content. Many people these days are avoiding these kind of foods. Some generic brands do not contain them. Stores such as Trader Joe's and other natural food stores carry brands without these additives.

I think this is the exact recipe on the Lipton soup box. I tried it and wasn't too crazy about it. Maybe I had too much meat for the one pkg of soup the meatloaf tasted too bland. My Mother made the best meatloaf using crackers and she always put in green bell pepper, onions and canned tomatoes. It always falls apart when I make it that way. Wish my Mom was still here to make me one.

I agree with Lilac. As to TXBetty's problem with meatloaf falling apart, I, too, had that problem until I read somewhere that it could be prevented by lightly sauteing the vegs before combining with other ingredients. Eggs are necessary for binding all together, so even an extra one is OK. Try this and let us know if any improvement is noted. I found the precooking did the trick for me.