DishesOther

Can Corningware Dish be Repaired?

What kind glue do I use to repair a broken Corningware casserole dish?

By Manell

I wouldn't use glue on anything that's meant to hold food. You're better off just replacing the dish.

I don't think you can mend a broken piece of Corningware, and if you try to, you've voided the warranty (the lifetime one, and it's a generous one) plus put yourself at risk of a catastrophic failure in the oven, microwave, or as you're serving with the bowl.

I'm sorry, I know how you feel about a much loved, much used, and expensive to replace piece of Corning or Pyrex-I've cried over the remains of a few in my 40 years of homemaking. But you need to give this casserole dish a decent burial because it's now unsafe at any temp for use in food prep/cooking/serving.

If you repair it you could use it for a potted plant or display it only but under no circumstances heat it or use it for liquids. You will end up with more trouble than it is worth.

NO!

I worked for an insurance company and took a claim that a woman had a

corningware bowl and she took it out of oven and it shattered. It splayed

shards of glass everywhere. So I would strongly suggest you not try to

fix it and use it in oven or at all. I do not think it would be worth it.

Be careful!

It's not safe but still if you want to repair follow these instructions. Sand both the surfaces and clean the dust with dry cloth. After this apply the Elmer's Craft Bond Ceramic & Glass Cement on one surface and join them. Use masking tape to hold the joint in place and let it set for 3-4 hours. I hope this will help you.

The knob on the lid of our 2 1/2 qt Corningware casserole separated from the shaft that attaches to the lid. The top of the shaft appears to be merely scored and was secured to the knob by some type of glue. The dish was from the late 60s and is amazingly easy to clean, so we don't want to lose it. What kinds of glue would hold up to high oven temperatures?

By Bill G. from San Jose, CA

If there is a hole in the lid of your dish where the handle was, you may want to consider buying a whole new heatproof handle to be attached with a screw which fits through the hole and can withstand the oven heat.

My husband did this for a casserole dish that I use frequently after the handle broke. That was 5 years ago, and it is still fine. He was able to buy one at the local hardware store. I googled replacement handles for pot lids, and found sites where they can be ordered. Hope this helps.