PaintingHome Improvement

Can I Paint Protecto Film Placed Over Wallpaper?

My son would like me to paint his walls a more neutral color. He is now living in his older sister's bedroom and she would prefer if we didn't take off her childhood wall paper.

So I thought if I used "Protecto Film" (used to cover school books) which easily peels off from wall paper and I painted it a more masculine color, I might solve my problem. What would be the best way to paint it?

By fern from North Woodmere, NY

Paint would not stick, you would need to sand paper it to prep the walls. Defeating the purpose of protecting with a plastic covering. Is this covering like contact paper? Either way, you have to prep for paint to stick.

The easiest way to cover walls is to use sheets. I think you could staple them over the wall paper. Not sure of the film you are speaking about, then how would you paint over it?

Is this wallpaper still available? Buy enough to redo the room, then paint over it if it's in good condition, or take it down. Best of luck to you!