General AdviceConsumer Advice

What is This Item?

I have found an unusual item but can not fathom what it is. The "serpent" is four inches long. The mouth opens up about 1/2 inch and has what looks like a hole punch but it isn't! There is an indentation on the lower jaw that the hole punch type thingy fits into nicely but it isn't a stationary press as there is no engraving or monogram as one would expect. It is too small to crack any nut so it isn't a nutcracker. It is made of iron and heavy. I am lost on this one! Thanks.

Pattie from Bridgton

I don't know either but it's pretty ugly.

I am totally in agreement that it is ugly/scary, but I think what you have there is either a cherry or an olive pitter. It looks more decorative than useful though.

Could it be a bottle opener? Yes, I agree with the rest. . pretty creepy looking.

I am voting for the cherry and olive pitter.

It's a bottle/can opener. The mouth is for opening bottles and the bottom is a punch to open cans, like the big tomato juice cans.

It is a bottle and can opener, most likely from a state gift shop in say Mississippi, Florida or some place known for serpents.

Gross but still practical.

Maybe it's used to put holes in leather belts. I looks the functional part looks similar to what my husband uses.