PaintingCrafts

Complimentary Color for Gold in a Painting

I have done a painting with gold and silver objects. Now I would like to add one flower. Which color will compliment the gold? The background is reddish-brown.

By Rina from Cape Town, RSA

Peach, melon, yellow, orange, and pink if the reddish brown looks like a rust color.

What about white? It would show up well without competing with the silver and gold.

My mother always told me that green goes with anything because it's the color of plants and stems.

I think a black flower would be dramatic. Not like a mortuary flower or a huge cabbage rose. But you sound like a talented artist so you would probably be able to add either a sketch like flower or a delicate looking flower.

Someone once told me that when decorating a house, there should be one large black object in a room for dramatic effect. I've done this and it does make a difference. I don't know if I'd do it again because I wouldn't want a goth look in the house I'm living in right now; it would work. When I did do the black object in my home, I was living in a minimalistic decor and it worked.

When you do finish your painting, I'd love to see it. Would you be willing to place a picture of it on this site?

Or you know, I just thought of something. Maybe you can send the picture as it is now and then people can see it better and be able to give you advice.

Good luck, Talented Person!

I would try shades of deep burgandy depending on the red in the reddish/brown background or a deep purple perhaps. Experiment with pieces of fabric or artificial flowers the colors you are considering, would be a thought also. Good luck.

How about a copper? That should pop against the backround and surrounding gold and silver.