OtherRepair

Wood Treatment That Won't Stain Clothing

I have a vinyl-ish plastic coated metal hook on a wooden dowel stick that is probably 40 years old from a desert climate (Phoenix, AZ). The wood had a finish, but it's showing signs of drying up. I'd like to moisturize or oil it, but don't want the emollient to stain cloth as it is used to pull clothing out of the dryer and washer. Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Holly, I know exactly what you're talking about; as an Occupational Therapist, I have made dozens.

If I were you, I would sand the stick lightly, then paint it, or put a coat or two of water-based varnish on the stick. You can get craft paint (acrylic) at the craft store for under a dollar for a bottle. As long as the paint is non-washable, it will be fine--even if you drip on the hook.

By jan (Guest Post)

Use mineral oil thats what they recommend for knife handles.