Next >︎
To Top

Getting Rid of Poison Oak or Ivy Growing in Shrubs

I have either poison ivy or poison oak growing all through my forsithia which is all around my yard. My yard is approximately 4 acres. Needless to say, it's too large to wet just the leaves of the poison plants.


Any suggestion in how to get rid of it without killing my forsithias?

Hardiness Zone: 7a

By Sheila from Columbus, NJ

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 6, 20100 found this helpful

Call your county agent extension office they can help you, good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 9, 20100 found this helpful

Birds -- they're so helpful in bringing in seeds!

I believe you can get herbicides that you can apply with a brush (included?). I would carefully cut the P.I. near the base and apply the herbicide to the stub. When the upper part of the plant has dried in the sun, carefully (the oils remain in the dead wood) dispose of it. This is not a quick cure, but keep working on it. Also, if you can hold cardboard between the forsythia and some of the P.I. you can sometimes spray on a windless day.


By the way, forsythias are tough enough that you can cut them nearly to the ground and have them come back. Something to keep in mind as a last resort.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 30, 20140 found this helpful

The best way to get rid of poison oak and poison ivy is to get a goat [I am not kidding] , Borrow a goat from a farm and he will eat the poison ivy or poison oak and goatslove it and do not get sick from it , The golf courses in this area know thissecret andsomeeven have their own littlecoral wit a few goats that they let out during the day to graze on the poison ivy so the golfers are not bothered by it , Thisis not ajoke , Borrow a goat for a day . Some farms will rent you one,
cathy from ma.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

January 19, 20150 found this helpful

These answers do not address three hugh problems with poison oak and ivy:

1. Even though the plants may appear to be dead, after using a spray or in the winter, etc., even the dead branches often have enough dried sap in them to cause rashes. If you want to remove living or dried plants, you must be extremely careful to avoid contact and wear good gloves and possibly even old clothes that you can throw away after a day's work.

2. Exposure to the oils in the plant are what causes the rashes. Another surprize is that washing does not always remove the sap completely. If you wash your hiking gear only, you may react when you next wear it. If you wash your gardening and other clothes with your hiking gear, you may find that your heretofore great clothes are now laced with sap and causing rashes.


3. Many people believe they are not sensitive to the plants. However, these same people realize one day that they are suddenly sensitive to poison oak and ivy after hiking, clearing weeds, etc. This is because each time someone comes into contact with the plants, they build up a little bit of sensitivity and may not realize they are slowly becoming sensitive to the plants. Then, one fine day, their neighbor asks them to remove some poison oak and, surprize, they break out with a hugh rash and may need medical treatment.

Ask me how I know all this?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Poison Oak leaves.
Getting Rid of Poison Oak
Next >︎
Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Woody and Vining WeedsJune 6, 2010
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Getting Rid of Ivy
Getting Rid of Ivy
English Ivy on Brick Wall
Getting Rid of English Ivy
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/10/11 23:13:07 in 703 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!