Ideas for Recycling an Old Piano

Category Reusing
Old pianos can often be found for cheap or free. Then the fun begins as you repurpose it into something uniquely yours. This guide explores ideas for recycling an old piano.

I've been given an old upright piano that needs major restoration and am looking for ideas on what to do with it. I'm thinking about dismantling it and crafting some furniture with the wood. Any ideas?

Answers

I'm not sure this would work, but could you take out all the 'guts' of the piano and use it as a kind of sideboard for storage?

By joyce craig (Guest Post)

Lisa,
How much fun! Black and white are big now, how about taking the keys and making a wall mural. Use the top and and side for some sort of bench. I once took apart a 60's sofa and used the back for a wall divider, the sides for the top back of a chest and the pillows for re-do in other rooms. Boy that $5.00 sofa was a great find! Have fun using all of this freebie to your imagination and creative style. Smiles, Joyce

I know it's silly, but I hate to think of instruments being destroyed! If the soundboard isn't cracked - maybe you could get someone to fix it!

And if the soundboard IS cracked & the thing is useless - you could make a computer desk out of it? (and remember the piano keys - if they are ivory - they have some value nowadays...)

My friend has one of these, and he layed a shelf about 10" down from the top, put plastic sheeting in it and used the top part as a planter. He took the insides out of the bottom part and put his (mini) stereo there, so now it looks good and still plays music.

By Elaine (Guest Post)

My sister was given one for their church and when the guys hauling it turned a corner it rolled off, sort of smashing it but my sister saved the part that holds the music since it was an intricately carved design and used it for a headboard in her guest bedroom. It is one of the most unique headboards I have ever seen with a carved wheat design.

By Ann (Guest Post)

Before you demolish your piano, you should get someone that knows about antiques to look at it and give you an appraisal. Your piano could be worth a tidy sum of money!

I can hear the piano yelling 'No!' Please consider putting it up on Craigslist or eBay or running an ad to sell it. You can get nice furniture without destroying a real piano.

I never got to have piano lessons as a kid, it's on my 'when I retire' list, so please don't smash the piano! You'll be smacking your forehead soon, saying "what was I thinking!"

I agree with kimhis. The idea of destroying a piano makes me a little dizzy. Surely a church or school or organization would want to use it? And remember the Antiques Roadshow mantra - get an appraisal from a knowledgeable antiques dealer before you do anything to an old piece. And I thought it was illegal to buy or sell ivory in the US. I don't know about Canada's laws.

Does anybody have any ideas on converting an old upright piano into a bar for our game room?

By Luanne from MS