Kielbasa Recipes

My parents and I really enjoy kielbasa. We have very limited ways of preparing it. Normally we fry or grill them and eat them on hotdog buns or bagels. We would really appreciate any casserole dishes or other ways to prepare this meat. We looked in a couple cook books with no success what so ever.

Thank you.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

I love to chop mine up and add it with chunks of pineapple to a package of red beans and rice. Dirty rice is also really good. Zateran's is my favorite brand, but any of them will work.

If the beans and spices give you any trouble, put in about 1 T. of sugar once everything is done. It takes the kick out of tomato products, and helps to neutralize the beans and spices.

I hope this helps.

PBP

Here is a recipe I posted a few years ago. It's my mom's recipe and we make it often.

Grandma Sue's Famous Sausage Stew
www.thriftyfun.com/tf59439654.tip.html

I cut the sausage up into 2 inch pieces, put in casserole dish, along with 2 cans of new potatoes (pour in 1/2 to juice from can), parsley, minced onion and pepper to taste. Cover and bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes.

I like to cut it up and put it in a pot with potatoes and onions and green beans and season with salt and other thing a little broth or water and cook on stove top.

Try frying with cabbage and some onion flakes or chopped green onions.

This is one of my favorites from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.

Kielbasa and Cabbage

1/3 cup chopped onion (one small)
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 small head green or red cabbage, cut into 12 wedges
3/4 cup apple juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
12 ounces fully cooked kielbasa, cut into 8 pieces
2 medium cooking apples, cored and sliced.

In 12 in skillet cook onion in hot margarine or butter till tender. Add cabbage wedges. Stir together apple juice, brown sugar, and vinegar. Pour over cabbage in skillet. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

Add kielbasa and apples. Return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer covered, for 10 minutes or till sausage is hot and apple is crisp tender. Serve with slotted spoon. Makes 4 servings.

Note: I have used apple cider instead of apple juice and I have used smoked kielbasa also.