AdviceGardening

Organic Weed Control For Strawberries

I am looking for a pet friendly weed control for strawberry weeds in my back yard. I have dogs and I am afraid to use chemicals because of the dogs. Does anyone know of an organic solution to keep strawberries under control?

Michael from St. Louis, MO

Geese.

Black plastic between the rows with something on top to make it walkable, like straw or old carpet. Better yet, put down a huge sheet of black plastic, and plant through X-shape holes you cut. Excellent for making fruit easy to pick and up off the ground.

I am looking for organic weed control for WILD strawberry weeds and Clover that spreading in my front and back yards and killing my grass.
Please give me advice.
Thanks,
Michael.

Hello again Michael - first, do you need lawn there? A no-lawn zone of pavers or stone with plastic under them will be a good barrier against invasion from weeds spreading by runners. The stone shades and protects the plastic, the plastic keeps weeds from coming up between stones. My favorite lawn solution is to rethink having a lawn and eliminate it!

Otherwise, do everything to make the grass plants happier so they compete well with the weeds. Use a much longer cutting depth, so the grass has at least 2" of leaf for a total height of 3 inches. Your neighbors who are knowledgeable will appreciate your reducing water and fertilizer use.

A golf-green for a lawn is just alien, from the era of spraying bug killer when a house fly was in the room. Another 'new' concept is the meadow lawn, with non-natives kept out but many grasses and broad leaf plants allowed to reach natural mature height.

Keep a mowed perimeter so it looks intentional. It looks all-season interesting, you mow it once in the spring, and it waves in the wind. You can jump-start the meadow by filling it with ornamental grasses too. Hope this helps.

www.appleseedlawn.com/FAQ%20Clover.htm
www.lawnmastergb.com/lawntipsweeds.php

www.ofm.wa.gov/sustainability/agencies/interagency/toolkit/grassalternatives.pdf
www.healthylawns.net/english/homelawns/hlkeymsg-e.html