Cleaning InteriorCars

Removing Musty Smell From Vehicle Carpet

What can I use to get rid of a musty smell out of my carpet in the trunk of my van?

Jude from Saltville, VA

By Diane (Guest Post)

I don't know if this will help but I think I read somewhere that you can use fabric softner sheets to take musty smells out. Perhaps if you leave one or two of them tucked somewhere out of sight in the van, it may take away some of the smell. Good luck.

I've used a cat litter freshener (a powder by Arm & Hammer) on smelly carpet and it should work for the trunk of a car. I'd sprinkle quite a bit of it and then leave the trunk open as long as you can and vac. it up after awhile but leave it as long as possible.

I was thinking maybe baking soda. I know that Sam's sells this stuff called ODO-BAN and it's pretty good at getting out odors.

How do I get rid of wet carpet smell in a vehicle?

By Frank D.

Answers

I would vacuum really well, then sprinkle baking soda on the carpet. Leave it for a few hours, then vacuum it up. If it's still there, do it again. The baking soda absorbs moisture and odors. If the car in general is having a hard time drying out because of the time of year, you could try a desiccant from the auto parts store or the auto section at Wal-mart.