Helpful HintsFood Tips

Cut Foods Right in the Can

If you accidentally bought pineapple rings and needed chunks, you will no doubt have to cut them. Why drain them, put them on a counter cutting board or plate and create a mess?

Cut them when they are still in the can. Just insert your knife in the center hole, and cut toward the can edge 16 times and you will have the same pieces you would if you bought them chunked.

No Muss, No Fuss!

PS: It works great for whole canned spuds when you really needed sliced spuds, as well as olives, pear halves, peach halves, and other things that are too big in the can.

Hope this helps. It sure has me!

Source: Too many times I needed the right thing after buying the wrong thing!

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem OR

A great idea on cutting the pinepple rings in the can when you boo booed, and should have bought the chunks.

Thanks

Another way to cut up items without dirtying a cutting board is to use a kitchen scissors. I hate to contaminate my cutting boards with poultry so if chicken is already thawed and needs to be cut in strips or diced, I leave it in the styrofoam meat tray. If it needs to be thawed I put it on a glass plate to thaw it in the microwave, then cut with a scissors. A glass plate is easier to wash. Also since the chicken is only about half thawed, it is easier to cut than if completely thawed.

This is a very good idea and I have used it. Saves time in running back to the store.