Heart Healthy Meals?

0
Share
8
Save
Follow
Print

I need "heart healthy" meal ideas for my diabetic husband who recently underwent heart surgery. Most healthy cooking is so bland it just doesn't appeal to him so he's not eating well and getting very weak. It's like a vicious cycle--if it's good for him, he just doesn't want it. Help!

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

By Starlight (Guest Post)

Hi -
Go to your library and look for a book called "Don't eat your heart out", by I think his name is Joe Piscatella. He has several books out which I used when my husband had a heart attack 8 years ago. The food tastes good, and there are lots of recipes. I had my husband go through the book with me and read the recipes and check the ones he would try...it worked out well. I wish you the best. I know it is a hard thing to go through, as well as stick with.

By Elizabeth (Guest Post)

Try www.savingdinner.com. They have menu plans for a "Heart Healthy" diet. I use the "Body Clutter" menu which is low carb/fat and just about everything that I've tried is very flavorful and delicious.

They send out a menu once a week, complete with shopping list. It's been great for me and my family. My husband doesn't know he's eating healthy because everything is so great tasting.

Experiment with herbs. They give a lot of flavor without the calories. Limit solid fat and of course, salt. Also use flavored vinegars and Balsamic vinegar. Us a lot of vegetables and salads to fill up on and decrease meat. Also use dijon mustard and small amounts of honey and juices to flavor...oh and don't forget lemon and orange zest...get a good zester and you will add lots of flavor to stir fry, and other foods.

A lot of it is habit too, what u get used to.
Good Luck
Lissette

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 364 Posts

Make sure you serve something different; fish one night, chicken the next...

Also, you mentioned his appetite is decreasing - could this be a result of medications? Call the pharmacist and ask.

www.onetouchgold.com/

Try this website. You'll have to sign up but I have a friend who is using this for her menu planning and she seems very pleased.

By Linda (Guest Post)

Use lots of garlic, onions, and herbs.

By sweet Peaches (Guest Post)

I am a Diabetic also and I have meals that are good.of course you need to use Splenda for Sugar and I cook with it and bake with it also..I went to my aol search engine and typed in" Diabetic Recipes "and found a ton of them.then I ordered a book from Amazon about Diabetic meals and "cooking with Splend".my Husband and I both are Diabetics and we eat healthy and the meals aren't bland at all.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 147 Feedbacks

Search for "Heart healthy meals". Lot of recipes there,my cousin enjoys ready fixed meals by Weight watchers in the freezer in grocer stores, just heat & eat ,maybe some fruit juice will help him, good luck.

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting DiabeticJuly 20, 2006
🌻
🎆
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf20044735.tip.html