Cleaning Supply RecipesCleaning

Homemade Fabric Protectant

Does anyone have a recipe to make a solution to waterproof fabric? I am recovering chairs for a Sunday school and would like to put a protective solution on them. The Scotch Guard Brand is good but a bit expensive.

By Jackie Young from Adelaide, S.A.

They have lots of waterproofing recipes from long ago (like WWII), but most of these are made with wax that's been dissolved in kerosene which means they are VERY flammable. This is how tents & tarps were waterproofed before plastic was invented when they were made from thick cotton or canvas.

MY TECHNIQUE:
My recommendation would be to buy a large bottle of Dimethicone, Cylomethicone or Silicone based anti-frizz hair product. (There are called: Frizz-eze, Citra-shine & other names. I have a 4 ounce bottle called "Straight & Shiny that I got on sale for only $1.69) It's sold in drug stores. Buy the biggest bottle you can get for your money. It's totally clear & feels very slippery to the touch. Be sure to look for a brand without a bunch of extra additives. I use it to lubricate my spinning wheel & my banding wheel (for pottery). You would then need to add the dimethicone hair product to a bottle of 99% rubbing alcohol & shake, then add a bit more at a time until it's the dimethicone product is dissolved in the alcohol.

Lastly pour the product into a well marked spray bottle & spray onto the fabric you'd like to protect. The alcohol will quickly evaporate leaving the silicone/dimethacone..Do this on a small piece of sample fabric first. Maybe you could buy a bottle of plain Silicone for less money on the internet than the store-bought hair serums then mix it with the alcohol? You'll want about 1 part silicone/dimethacone with at least 10 - 20 parts of 99% rubbing alcohol. This will not leave the fabric feeling greasy or sticky.

Look in Liquidation stores:
I've found a scotch guard type product in large cans at dollar or liquidation stores. I bought 8 cans because the price was only $1 for a huge can. Look around in liquidation stores & some dollar stores for knock-off brands. The brand I bought was "Bissell" & it worked wonderfully!

I have used a waterproofing spray product that is used for tents. I bought this in Wal-mart in the camping/sport section.

It was cheaper than Scotchguard and worked on many different things. I can't remember the name or the exact price but I had used it for a cloth shower curtain and it worked very well. I remember that you only had to spray on one coat.

I used very little of it but I gave it the remaining away and do not have the can.

Listen here people. I own a carpet store which we install an sell flooring. Go to hardware store, of course wall-mart. get a regular size can of WD 40, yes WD 40 add to 1 gal. gallon of water. Will work on carpet, fabric an also work on car interior. After it dries pour some big red on a spot you can't see an it will bead right up. mike

How do you apply this Mike? And do you just spray the can of wd40 into a bucket of water?

I buy silicone spray in the Walmart automotive section and it's only $2.22 and it works on everything!!! Today I'm going to waterproof my dogs sweater that I got at a thrift store for $0.50 because I have spent over $120 on different coats for him that don't fit him right! His new turquoise sweater fits him perfect and it will save me so much money. I'm also going to waterproof a wooden dog gate and I use the silicone spray to lubricate my hinge on my trunk doors and different Automotive things.

I've used this spray on shoes jackets my phone case purses but make sure you're wearing something over your mouth and nose and I also wear my glasses.
I use the little masks that they give out at the doctor's office so every time I go to the doctor I get one and save it for these type of projects. Well good luck from your friends Beverly Scooby-Doo the dog Little Bit the blue Russian Kitty and blueberry the betta fish and are three zebrafish Moe Larry and Curly!
I just discovered Thrifty fun and I love it! I will be visiting your website all the time because I'm a widow and live on a very tight budget!

Welcome! I hope you find and share many tips with the rest of the ThriftyFun community.