Protecting Microfiber Furniture

Category Furniture
A good way to avoid stains on your upholstery is to apply a protectant. This guide is about protecting microfiber furniture.

We were looking into buying microfiber furniture, is it recommended to get the furniture protectant which is an additional $100? Or does microfiber clean well without the protectant?

Suzana from MI

Answers

Best Answer

When I bought my microfiber sofa and loveseat about a year ago, I was told to not put any type of protectorant on it as it cleans up beautifully. And, they were right! All I use is upholstery cleaner and every stain comes right up and it dries really fast.

Best Answer

I wouldn't spend the extra. We bought a microfiber sofa/loveseat set and had heard how easy they are to clean. We now have a 1 1/2 year old son who just discovered pens. Before we knew it our sofa and loveseat were COVERED with ink! I read a tip that rubbing alcohol removes the ink, so I gave it a shot. It removed the ink as well as several other "unknown" stains immediately! Just dab the alcohol on a white washcloth and wiped the ink stain. Not only that, but if you dampen the towelet with rubbing alcohol and give the whole couch a light once-over, the whole thing not only looks new but is also sanitized! DON'T WASTE THE $100.

Best Answer

I sell furniture for a living and have heard so many salespeople tell customers so many different stories about how microfiber furniture cleans. Most of these salespeople have never studied the material and most have no experience in cleaning or living with microfiber. Microfiber can be made to absorb (Shamee Wow), repel (tablecloths), and have other attributes. Unless a particular furniture factory has pretreated their microfiber (some do a Teflon treatment) they will only state that the fabric is made for durability and feel, no stain resistance is stated or implied. I have always recommended that my customers purchase the Teflon protectant to make cleaning easier and they get five years of professional advise and in home spot cleaning. The advise for specific stains and getting you familiar with your particular piece is well worth the price, in my opinion. Everyday soiling like body oils and normal usage must be cleaned by a professional or home furniture cleaning machine, just like you would any other piece of furniture. Just remember that microfiber can have many different attributes and you cannot be sure how your piece of furniture will respond to staining until it actually happens. I hope this helps.

I don't have any first-hand experience, but given the number of posts on this list looking for tips to get stains out from microfiber, maybe some sort of protectant would be worth it.