Health InsuranceBudget & Finance

Early Retirement and Medical Insurance

Due to extreme stress on my job that is affecting my health, I am looking into retirement at 62 and finding part time work. I think I can do this as far as my bills, but my concern is medical insurance. What options are out there for someone who is healthy but worried about an unexpected hospital bill.

By nonniebeth from Rome, GA

I was uninsured from 1983 until 2005, because I couldn't afford insurance of any kind, It was a real relief when I turned 65. There is a free clinic where I live, but that doesn't take care of hospital stays. Most counties will help people in the event of an unplanned hospitalization. That is the only advice I can give you. When it comes to health care this country is in really sad shape.

Any med insurance you will have to pay for until you are 65. Then you will be able to get medicare and be sure to enroll in the B part. After 65 you should enroll in a supplement plan of your choice. I don't believe you will find any part time jobs offering insurance except workmans comp. If you do run up a hospital bill before 65 ask the billing dept. about monthly payments. I had a big bill and talked with the billing dept. They asked what could I afford. I told them and every thing was fine.

In the event that you would need to be hospitalized, the hospital should be able to work with you. My son was hospitalized last year for 6 weeks and did not have insurance. He had to first fill out papers for medical assistance from our state. Between the state assistance and the hospital, my son ended up paying only $200. So don't worry.

Part time jobs DO offer health insurance. You will have to pay for it but only until you turn 65 and get medicare. Occasionally a part time employer with few employees will not have the insurance option but most do.