Storing Coffee

What is the best way to store coffee (both for unground beans and for already ground)? My DH and I don't drink it up very fast, and I've heard keep it in the freezer; I've heard keep it in the refrigerator; I've heard oh, no, don't do either of those, that'll dry it out, just keep it in an airtight container.

Lynn from Calif. from Chico, CA

Hi Lynn,
Light, air and moisture make coffee go stale. That is true whether it is whole bean or ground. Whole beans though last longer than ground coffee. If you want it to taste fresh, keep only the amount of whole beans you will drink within a week at room temperature and make sure it is in an airtight container.

Once coffee is ground it goes stale very quickly. If you want to store it for a long time, buy the unground kind. But if it is already ground, store it in an airtight container in the freezer.

If you drink it rarely, put it in the freezer but make sure that it is double wrapped so that it won't pick up any smells from the freezer. Frozen coffee will last up to a year if you have a good freezer.

If you buy the coffee in the airtight bags or cans rather than from the bins, you may get the freshest coffee. They seal it right after it is roasted.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Anonymous

I put the ground coffee in pint or quart ZipLoc bags and squeeze air out and store in the freezer with great success. I keep a 2 cup ZipLoc plastic container in the refrigerator and refill it as needed, usually every 8 days with the coffee from the freezer.
JoanDogs

I have several friends that have worked at Coffee stores...Peet's and Starbuck's. They recommend not refrigerating nor freezing. Best to be in a sealed tight container in the dark pantry. I was told it will loose it's taste when in the refrig or freezer. I drink it up fast so I wouldn't know. I only put mine in the pantry both whole bean and grinded.