Why Can't Scrapbooking Paper Be Acidic?

What is the reason that the paper can't be acidic? I am asking this because I am new to scrapbooking and I have used magazing cutouts and such. I guess I seem a little ignorant but like I said, I am new to this.

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)

Acid will destroy the photos. It lets off fumes. That is why old newspapers turn brown and disintegrate.

Anything with acid can permeate an entire photo album. The plastic in photo albums should be acid free and any paper products used in the album should also be acid free.

If you want to use something in your photo album that isn't acid free such as magazine photos, spray it with archival mist available and scrapbook at hobby shops.

By Lynne (Guest Post)

Ever notice now old newspaper clippings turn yellow and crispy after a few years? That's because the paper is not acid-free. Regular "acidic" paper will turn yellow/brown and crispy over time, while acid-free paper won't.