AdviceGardening

When Will My Crepe Myrtle Bud?

When will my crepe myrtle start to bud?

By Regina from Lawrenceburg, IN

I live in NW Louisiana, and mine bloom mid-late summer. I have dark pink here.

If you started it from a cutting or seed, it may take many, many years. It may also never bloom but, you can enjoy the bark and shade. I just have a way with plants. Jeannie in southwest Louisiana

I live in northern Arkansas, and mine blooms in mid-summer. If you are asking when it will break into leaf buds, it's the last thing to leaf out around here. Every year after everything else has budded out and I think that maybe the winter has killed it, it will break into leaves about two weeks later.

The neighbor asked my husband to dig hers out last year because she thought something had killed it. I told her to wait another month, and sure enough, it budded out. You just have to be patient. I've started several from root shoots, and all have bloomed their first year, but it might just be the type that I have growing.