AdvicePets

Mark Pet Tags With Name and Number

You can save money and effort by purchasing a tag for your dogs or cats that go outside. If your dog (or cat) gets out of your yard, having a tag with your own name and number will allow anyone who finds your pet to call you directly.

If all your pet has on her or his collar is the licensing tag (or no collar at all), people will call animal control. You will likely be able to pick up your pet, but you will then be charged significant fines. In my area, it is about $250 to get your dog out of the pound. Sadly, some people abandon their pets instead of paying this fee.

For about $10, I've had an etched metal tag made at PetSmart. I typed in the information myself, and waited a few minutes while it was etched. Now I have a lot of peace of mind, knowing my dog has ID, and that I will most likely be called if she happens to get out of the yard (instead of her going to an animal control officer).

There is an unpleasant boy in my neighborhood who opens up gates to let out dogs, and I've found dogs with only the license tag, so this is uppermost on my mind. A lock on the gate helps too!

By Janet Sigurdson from Red Deer, AB

I order my dogs collars on-line from Petsmart and they weren't expensive. Each collar has the dog's name and my phone number.

Using a marking pen, write phone number on nylon collar. Works on leather, too. You may have to refresh it every few months.