Dog Food RecipesDogs

Feeding Vegetables To Dogs

My dogs thrive on a similar range of foods that our local bears and foxes eat! They, both beautiful Australian Shepherds (gotten free, I might add, as retirees from a breeder). They love carrots, sweet potato peelings, cabbage cores, etc.

When I make soup from chicken or turkey carcasses, I clean out the fridge of old veggies and simmer it all overnight. After straining the broth and removing chunks of meat for myself, I process the rest and have a dog feast ready for a week or so. Winter squash is especially satisfying: after roasting it for soup (375 degrees F for an hour or so), I scoop out the flesh and save the rest for the doggies, who eat the sweet skin like candy!

Source: Just an extension of the raw food diet and crockpot cooking ideas for feeding pets.

By Belinda Phillips from Thornton, NH