Making Your Own Panty Liners

Category Miscellaneous
Rather than continuously buying disposable panty liners, you can make them at home if you have basic sewing skills. This is a guide about making your own panty liners.

I stopped buying panty liners long ago. Since being laid off my job, I have been looking for extra ways to make money go farther. Instead of throwing old socks away, I have always kept them to use for other purposes like cleaning rags; I now keep them for yet another use. I lay the sock flat and cut up one side and toe, opening it up to one piece of cloth. I kept one panty liner for a pattern. I cut several layers from the pattern from the sock and discard the scraps. I had some old quilted place mats I never used and an old mattress pad that was never used. From these, I cut several layers from the pattern. I purchased flannel baby blankets for the top and bottom layers of the pads. I then pinned and sewed the layers of sock material and misc. quilted place mat fabric and mattress pad fabric together with a zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine. Make sure the fabrics are sandwiched between the top and bottom flannel layers. I just top-stitched and left the edges raw. Flannel doesn't slip. This has been a real money saver for me, since these paper purchases do add up over the years. Just launder with other clothing.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I am speechless!

I'm guessing yoder178 is speechless because s/he has never heard of this. I have never used cloth feminine products myself and am past that stage of life, so I never will, but many women in the USA and certainly around the world do. It is a growing movement. Think about it: if you use cloth diapers, how is this any weirder or more difficult?

I wonder if yoder178 has heard about family cloth yet? LOL.

The one word that comes to mind is ewww. Not so much because it is a cloth product, but it's made from an old used sock that is no longer fit to even be on a foot!

This is not something I would do but I have a few comments on this one to Beckster944. The heel of a sock can get worn much earlier than the top or rest of a sock so there could still be plenty of good material to use. Second to Katie A., my mom used to tell me that when she was growing up with her 7 sisters during the depression they had a rag box which was for the girls to use "at that time of the month" so I guess it really isn't that weird especially when you mentioned cloth diapers, but lastly, unless these last through a LOT of washings (I would presume hot water and bleach) it sounds like a lot of work. Socks, place mats, mattress cover, and blankets if you didn't have this laying around to use it could get expensive to make I would think. I think I will stick with the store brand when I need to save money.