Repairing Cracked Fiberglass

What can I use to fix a crack in a fiberglass shower stall?

By Eileen

Best Answer

Don't use caulk and definitively don't try a glassing job if you have no experience. You'll have one fine mess!

I repair fiberglass tubs, showers, whirlpools, etc. for a living full time for the last ten years. Have a pro look at it and advise you on the scope of the situation (to see if repairable). Even fairly badly damaged units can be repaired as good if not much better than new for a FRACTION of the cost of replacement.

I fix blown out and or spongy soft floors at least once a week. It's usually a 5 to 8 hour job depending on several variables that may or may not be existing like voids, delaminations, bad sub floor, cracks, excessive space under unit, etc.

If you are dealing with an honest and reputable repair service they will give you the "real deal" on what can be done and your options. For this you would likely be charged a nominal trip charge or an inspection/consulting fee if the tech deems it not feasible to make a repair or the home owner does not want to schedule for repairs to be made.

Be warned it is a very dusty and noxious process. Also be sure to use a service that has at least 5 years experience and one that IS NOT a franchise company - Preferably an experienced AUTHORIZED warranty repair service for a reputable manufacturer like Lasco, Maax, Jacuzzi, etc.

Any of the manufacturer's can get you info on local repair services.

The cost of a complete and properly done "professional" floor job can range anywhere from 200 to 700 dollar's around these parts. But again, that is way cheaper than replacing!

The pic is not of a damaged or repaired floor - easily seen is the damage on the wall. (the floor could use a good cleaning and buff not to mention a few chip repairs) I make ugly stuff like this go away - economically - completely - forever!

On a side note: I am in the process of making and marketing a "miracle" fiberglass cleaning product that easily removes soap scum, stains, and scuffs from fiberglass. MUCH easier and more economical than any product you can presently buy. I've extensively researched it and am going to unleash the product to the public in about two more months! Will I make millions? Possibly - I sure hope so. It IS a superior product and different than any other presently available - We'll see!

Best Answer

You can get a fiberglass repair kit from the hardware store. I fixed a big hole in my tub at one time, which held until we were able to replace the tub years later. It will be a noticeable repair, but will make the shower fully functional.

My handyman friend used clear silicone on mine.Ask someone at your local hardware store.