MakingClothing

Make Your Own Dickies

Category Making

Dickies can be made by taking the dickie cloth and using garters at each side at the top to attach around bra straps. They can be made from expensive remnants from something that you hemmed. I keep a stash of large pieces that were cut off from hemming just for this use.

By Holly

What are the dickies you are referring to? And what do you mean by garters?

A dickie is a piece of cloth that you put right where your cleavage is so no one sees what they shouldn't be seeing. Not much is visible to the public. Sometimes blouses are a little too low cut (or tend to sag later in the day) and this helps to keep private parts private.
If a woman wore a suit jacket buttoned up, with just a tiny bit of camisole showing, this is about what you'd see of a dickie.
A garter is an old fashioned contraption used to hold up nylon stockings before they invented panty hose.

How do I make a dickie without bra strap attachments? My granddaughter doesn't wear a bra yet.

By slow sewer

Answers

I make winter dickies from odd size turtlenecks. Just cut off the sleeves and cut across the body about 10" down from the neck. Cut open the sides. Then I wear a T-shirt or blouse over it. If the weather warms up it is easy to take off the dickey. You can use pretty blouses cut the same way. It doesn't matter what size they are so you can buy whatever you like at a Thrift Store. If your Grandaughter doesn't need a bra yet, I don't see how she could have any cleavage to hide. Hope this gives you some ideas.