Cleaning ToolsCleaning

Will Cotton Poly Sheets Make Good Cleaning Rags?

I have some old sheets I'm wanting to cut into squares and use for cleaning and picking up spills. They are part cotton and part polyester. Will they soak up spills or would they need to be 100% cotton?

By Betty

I don't think they would soak up spills very well, but they should be fine for cleaning and scrubbing.

Jean

I must admit I am not a fan of polyester. I would use old towels and softer cloth for clean up rags and perhaps save the sheets for covering things you want protected from dust, or anything else requiring covering surfaces. You could cut them and hem them into smaller pieces, and keep them folded in your linen closet area until needed.

For clean up I use old towels and tee shirts. Sometimes I make squares of towel piece on one side and tee shirt fabric on the other, sew around the edges, leaving an unsewed space to turn inside out, then tuck in unsewed part and top stitch. But only if the cloth seems to have a lot of wear left in it. Otherwise I just tear or cut the cloth. I cut towels rather than tear because terry does that wierd unravel thing.

I don't think so because they have polyester, check if they absorb moisture before cutting the sheets.

Anonymous

If they are a high percentage of cotton they will work just fine but just won't hold as much moisture as 100% cotton would. If the original cleaning instruction tag is still on them it should say what percentage is cotton and what percentage is polyester to help you decide.

They will do better if you don't use fabric softener on them. Old sheets make really great tarps for dragging your fallen leaves or shrub trimmings to the curb. You can use them for covering plywood garage sale tables.

Another thought, I've read many a tip that people turn them in to reusable napkins.