Pools and Hot TubsHome Improvement

Green Water In Pool

My pool is green. I have tried several remedies. Can someone help me to get this pool clear?

Dennis from Pa

THIS IS A RESULT OF HUMIDITY. YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE ALGECIDE AND SHOCK IT

I HAVE A BOOKLET FROM HTH CHEMICALS IN FRONT OF ME. IT STATES THE FOLLOWING.... ADJUST PH OF POOL TO 7.2-7.4 WITH MINUS OR PLUS AT LEAST 1 HOUR BEFORE SHOCKING.SHOCK POOL WITH SHOCK IT

BRUSH WALLS VIGOROUSLY USING A BRUSH DESIGNED FOR POOL CLEANING

RUN FILTER FOR 24 HOURS OR UNTIL POOL CLEARS

VACUUM POOL

ADD ALGECIDE

TP PREVENT RE ACURRENCES...MAINTAIN CHLORINE AT 1.0-4.0

MAINTAIN PH AT 7.2-7.8

SHOCK WEEKLY

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

It sounds like you have a pretty good algae problem. I would do as the previous poster suugests (IMAQ1962). Shock

Scrub

Algaecide

and if that doesn't work, collect a sample of the pool water and take it in to your local pool specialist or spa store for them to run a diagnosis on it.

and if that STILL doesn't work..have you ever thought about raising catfish?

Living in the south we used to go through this every year about this time.

Here's what we did.......

1.Super Shock It ....... Run Pump about 12 hours

2.Super Shock It Again ....... Run Pump about 12 hours

3.We also started using Aqua Chem Stabilized Floaters.

They have the cholorine tablets in it that are stabilized cholorine. This type cholorine, running the pump as much as possible, and Super Shock It seem to have taken care of the problem.

We have had no green water in 4 years.

One year we tried the pool specialist and they had our water black. We had to drain it, clean it and start over.

We get the above products at Walmart.(Super Shock It and Aqua Chem Stabilized Floaters)

The Aqua Chem Stabilized Floater has little tips on the sides of it that you snip off according to the amount of water in your pool.

Running the pump as much as possible helps alot.

Good Luck,

Debbie

I know this is a no-no, but my inlaws have always dumped about 5-7 gallons of regular bleach into the pool to clear it up... of course I would stay out until you get the clorine level strightened out. But it has worked for them for over 30 yrs.

Before you waste any more time and money to fix the problem, get a pool specialist in. I tried to fix my green pool, finally resorting to draining it in frustration, and the pool specialist stopped me and had it clear by late that afternoon! Yes, it cost money, but it would have been a waste of water and chemicals to start from scratch! When I've been stumped in the past, they often find the problem that I simply was not aware to even look for!

Will baking soda straighten out green pool water (no algae)? The water was checked at the pool store, everything is OK, but the water is hard.

By DennisC.

I just took down my pool I had in a shade for 8 years and I used a 3month type of shock and Baking soda. Baking soda will probably do the job for now but something else is off. I found that the baking soda and 3 month shock along with running the filter every night worked quite well along with the chlorine and I also found that during the hot part of summer I had to increase the chlorine. All the other stuff for me was a waste of money. Just go for it.